Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Kilburn White Horse

No music video.

Simply reminiscing about that cold, windy day above the Kilburn White Horse. I believe that was one of the first outings we had together. I was completely lost geographically and emotionally. Today, while reading Stonehenge: A New Interpretation of Prehistoric Man and the Cosmos, John North, c. 1996, I happened to be reminded of the Kilburn White Horse. John North was talking about the Uffington White Horse. I, of course, had no idea which "white horse" we had seen that cold, blustery, windy day, but a bit of googling and it was not hard to find.

It seemed like it took forever to drive to it, but google maps show it to be quite close, in retrospect, to Pateley Bridge. Like so many times in my life, I failed to take full advantage of what the local area offered. I was blessed that you took me so many places.

For England, though, it was a long drive: the 29-mile drive would take an hour, according to google. And an hour of driving seemed to be an eternity for me in those halcyon days when I preferred to be walking. The map shows we would have driven through Ripon (the cathedral town; Arvo Part's Te Deum, the movie Lord of the Rings) and through Thirsk, one our mutually favorite towns, and one we visited "enough but not enough."

I will leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment