Saturday, February 23, 2013

Dance Me To The End Of Life

I remember dancing in the atrium of a house in Yorkshire. And tonight, I am led back to that house.

Dance Me To The End of Life, Leonard Cohen


******************* 

Nothing below the break has anything to do with you, us, or Yorkshire, so no need to read any farther. But not surprisingly, weekend nights are particularly difficult. I was up in Provincetown, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, the last couple of days. I guess if I can't be in Yorkshire, Provinctown is a good second choice. Provincetown is wonderful. The people are wonderful. Incredibly friendly.

On the way up to Provincetown, I always take a side trip to visit the Yellow Umbrella Bookstore in Chatham, at the elbow of the cape. On so many levels, the Yellow Umbrella Bookstore may be the nicest bookstore, bar none. I always enjoy asking the co-owner/co-manager (?) what she is reading, and her selections are always so interesting. I enjoy talking with her. This time she mentioned Penelope Fitzgerald; surprisingly (there's that word again) I had not heard of her, and yet "In 2008, The Times included her in a list of "The 50 greatest British writers since 1945," according to wiki. I had already picked out the book I was going to read, so I told Ms Yellow Umbella I wouldn't be buying Penelope Fitzgerald this trip, but maybe the next trip.

I had already picked out Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick, c. 2006, I guess (the copyrights vary, depending).  So, now in between reading Mayflower, and checking messages at my Bakken blog, I am surfing through YouTube. Before midnight. After midnight, I surf and post my meanderings on a different site.

It is incredible how great the songs were in that 18-month-period centered around 1969. My surfing brought me back to Marmalade's "Reflections of My Life." I had forgotten that was a 1969/1970 song, also.

Reflections Of My Life, The Marmalade

And now, I'm doing better.

Massachusetts, The Bee Gees

No comments:

Post a Comment