Sunday, November 13, 2011

Back on Boogie Street -- No One Has Told Me Yet What Boogie Street Is For

Some years ago, not really all that long ago, I spent some time in Yorkshire, England. I was treated to some wonderful home-cooked meals while deployed with the US Air Force to a remote station.

I always helped clean up after dinner, and enjoyed washing the dishes. Once the dishes were done, I had to leave quickly ....

Whenever I hear this song, I am reminded of those wonderful, halcyon days in Yorkshire ...


Boogie Street, Leonard Cohen

O, Crown of Light, O Darkened One,

I never thought we'd meet.
You kiss my lips,
And then you're gone:
I'm back on boogie street.

A sip of wine,
A cigarette,
And then it's time to go.
I tidied up the kitchenette,
And tuned the old banjo.
I'm wanted back at the traffic jam:
They're saving me a seat.

I'm what I am
And what I am
Is back on boogie street

And, oh my love, I still recall
The pleasures that we knew;
The rivers and the waterfalls --
Wherein I bathed with you.
Bewildered by your beauty then,
I kneeled to dry your feet ...
Was it all a dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment