Friday, January 11, 2013

I Am Sailing .. I Am Flying .... I Am ... Forever Trying ....I

I looked at the first post for this blog again tonight (at least I think it was the first post).

Nothing has changed. It was posted in 2009. I had been posting much earlier but as mentioned earlier, I deleted the original blog about that time and started over.

My original blog covered all my interests: the oil industry in my home state, music, literature, travels, and, of course, the life-altering experience called Yorkshire.

But that original blog was too eclectic so I broke it up into several blogs. Most of my time is spent on my blog regarding the oil boom in my home state. I post often throughout the day. It is probably the best source of information on the oil boom in North Dakota for "amateur" followers of the boom.

At one time, it was music that kept me going and I have a blog focusing on the music I enjoy. I've pretty much quit posting at that blog, having pretty much exhausted my personal music library, as it were.

But now, it is literature that keeps me going from day to day. I get into "phases" where I will read everything I can about a certain author. Before tackling a major work of literature, I read at least one biography, and generally two or three biographies before reading the novel. Examples include Anaïs Nin & Henry Miller: James Joyce and his wife Nora: Hemingway and his four wives, all very successful in their own right; Virginia and Leonard Woolf; F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald; Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas; Karen Blixen and Dennis Finch-Hatton; and, of course, the Brontës. I am absolutely fascinated by the human dilemma: how men, maybe women, "manage" relationships.

[I teared up after reading Rolvaag's Giants in the Earth, but Karen Blixen's Out of Africa was even more difficult for me to handle. I would love to read that book out loud to another; it is so poetic, so powerful. I think often of how Dennis died, and I am certain my thoughts about his death are correct. Wow, that was an incredible book. An incredible story. But I digress.]

I stopped reading literature in my fourth year of college, as I was transitioning to graduate school, and then the Air Force. I didn't start reading again until 2002, when I was sent to northern England. No one knew how depressed I was in the 90's -- it was reading that "saved" me. I started an aggressive reading program in 2002 and continue reading to this day. 

Enough rambling for now. 

I am sailing ... I am flying .. to be near you ... to be free ... can you hear me .. can you hear me ... 

It is incredible -- songwriting .. can you hear me ... through the dark night ... I am dying ... forever trying to be near you ...


I Am Sailing, Rod Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment