Thursday, January 10, 2013

In My JRR Tolkien, Lord Of The Rings, Phase

I talked about this elsewhere, on my literature blog, I believe. Several months ago, I got back into my JRR Tolkien / Lord of the Rings phase. Brings back wonderful memories of Yorkshire.

I will be updating my literature blog but it's hard to do. I would rather discuss it in person. Unfortunately that won't happen.

Not a day goes by that I'm not thinking of ...

No video today. Sorry.

Instead, some high points of my reading.

I am reading The Letters of JRR Tolkien, edited by Humphrey Carpenter, his official biographer, I believe.

I read it slowly, savoring every letter -- or almost every letter. There is a draft letter of Tolkien to C. S. Lewis, undated, but believed to have been written in 1943 on the subject of "Christian marriage, which is binding and lifelong, and marriage-contracts solemnised (sic) only by the State, which make no such demands."

The whole issue is, of course, problematic, but would be an interesting discussion.

I still maintain that as men grow older, they become more romantic; women, less so.

No comments:

Post a Comment